Norton is one of the most popular antivirus programs, with many users using it to protect their systems from unwanted virus or malware attacks. However, random errors do occur from time to time. One such error faced by several users is Norton.com/setup error 5
In this article, we will cover causes, symptoms, and possible ways to resolve such errors.
Let’s get started!
Norton 360 Error 5: Meaning
The norton.com/setup Error 5 is a run-time error that occurs when Norton 360 fails or crashes during operation. It does not necessarily imply that the code was corrupt, but rather that it did not function properly during its run-time. This type of error will appear as an obnoxious notification on your screen unless handled and corrected properly.
The Norton 360 error 5 displays the message “Error 5: Norton 360 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience“.
Causes of Norton 360 Error 5
Because bugs are an inevitable part of any software, they must be addressed as soon as possible to avoid causing unnecessary problems with the software. One such error is norton.com/setup error 5, which must be addressed properly. The causes of such errors are listed below:
- In most cases, runtime errors are caused by incompatible programs running at the same time.
- It may also occur as a result of a memory problem, a faulty graphics driver, or a virus infection.
Symptoms of Norton 360 Error 5
Norton 360 Error 5 may cause the user to experience a few symptoms or signs:
- Errors in runtime occur without warning. The error message may appear on the screen whenever Norton 360 is launched. In fact, if the error message or another dialogue box is not addressed early on, it may appear again and again.
- There may be instances of file deletion or the appearance of new files.
- Though this symptom is primarily caused by a virus infection, it can also be attributed to runtime error because virus infection is one of the causes of runtime error.
- Users may also notice a sudden decrease in internet connection speed, though this is not always the case.
Possible Solutions of Norton 360 Error 5
Runtime errors can be aggravating and persistent, but they are not completely hopeless; solutions to resolve such errors are available. Here are some of the possible solutions to resolve norton.com/setup error 5:
Solution 1: Close conflicting Programs
- When you encounter a runtime error, keep in mind that it is caused by programs that are incompatible with one another.
- Stopping these competing programs is the first step toward resolving the issue.
- By pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del at the same time, you can access Task Manager. This will display a list of the programs that are currently running.
- Go to the Processes tab and, one by one, stop the programs by highlighting each one and clicking the End Process button.
- Now, you must determine whether the error message will reappear each time you stop a process.
- Once you’ve determined which program is causing the error, you can proceed to the next troubleshooting step.
Solution 2: Update or Reinstall the Conflicting Programs
To resolve norton.com/setup error code 5, the conflicting programs can be updated or reinstalled via two methods:
- Using Control Panel
- Using other Methods
Let us discuss each method in brief:
1. Using Control Panel:
- For Windows 7, go to the Start menu, then Control Panel, and then click on Uninstall a program.
- When we have Windows 8, click the Start Button, then More Settings, then Control Panel->Uninstall a program.
- In Windows 10, simply type Control Panel into the search box, click the result, and then click Uninstall a program.
- Once in Programs and Features, select the problematic program and choose Update or Uninstall.
- If you chose to update, simply follow the prompts to finish the process; if you chose to uninstall, simply follow the prompts to uninstall and then re-download or use the application’s installation disc to reinstall the program.
2. Using Other methods:
- When you click Start and scroll your mouse over the list that appears on the tab in Windows 7, you will see a list of all installed programs. On that list, you may see a utility for uninstalling the program. You can uninstall using the utilities available in this tab.
- For Windows 10, go to Start, then Settings, and then Apps.
- Scroll down to see a list of the Apps and features that are currently installed on your computer.
- Click the Program that is causing the runtime error, and then select Uninstall or Advanced options to reset the application.
you can also compare Norton 360 deluxe vs premium to get a better overview
Solution 3: Run Disk Cleanup
You may also experience runtime errors as a result of insufficient free space on your computer. In such case:
- You should think about backing up your files and making space on your hard drive.
- Additionally, you can clear your cache and restart your computer.
- You can also use Disk Cleanup, open an explorer window, and right-click your primary directory.
- Click Properties, then Disk Cleanup.
Solution 4: Re-install Runtime Libraries
- When you don’t have proper installation of updates of Runtime Libraries such as MS Visual C++ package, you can receive this error. Then you can uninstall the current package and install a fresh copy.
- Uninstall the package by going to Programs and Features and searching for and selecting the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package.
- Click Uninstall at the top of the list, and then restart your computer.
- Download and install the most recent redistributable package from Microsoft.
ALSO READ: 13 Unbelievable Drone Technology
The above-mentioned solutions may assist you in resolving the Norton 360 Error 5. In case, the problem persists, you can connect with the Norton technical team for further assistance.