The unexpected growth of abnormal cells in your brain is known as a brain tumor. There are several types of brain tumors; some are non-cancerous, and some are malignant. How quickly a brain tumor spreads can depend on the type and other factors. According to the best brain doctors in Mumbai, you should take any signs of brain tumors very seriously and consult specialists without delay for treatment.
Wondering how the brain tumor will affect the function of your nervous system? It is primarily based on the growth rate and the location of the tumor. It is important to identify the type of tumor and its cause before you start treatment.
Types of Brain Tumor
- Acoustic Neuroma
- Embryonal Tumor
- Brain Metastases
- Choroid Plexus Carcinoma
- Pituitary Tumor
- Pediatric brain tumors
Symptoms of brain tumor
The brain tumor’s size, location, and growth rate play an important role in determining the symptoms caused by brain tumors. The general signs are-
- Constant headaches
- Changes in the pattern of headaches
- More frequently occurring headaches
- Nausea or vomiting
- Difficulty maintaining balance
- Loss of sensation
- Difficulty in speaking
- Fatigue and weakness
- Unable to follow simple commands
- Personality changes
- Hearing Difficulties
Causes of Brain Tumor
Cancer that Begins in the Brain
This term is given to primary brain tumors that begin in the brain or close to it, like brain-covering membranes or the pituitary gland, etc. It grows when the normal cells develop changes in the DNA. The cells grow and divide, which results in a mass of abnormal, unhealthy cells that forms a brain tumor.
Each brain tumor gets its name from the kind of cell that is involved. Some of the common examples are-
- Gliomas: Originate in the brain or spinal cord and includes astrocytomas, ependymomas, glioblastomas, oligoastrocytomas, and oligodendrogliomas
- Meningiomas: Arises from the brain covering membrane and spinal cord. These are mostly non-cancerous.
- Acoustic neuromas: Benign tumors that grow in the nerves that control balance and hearing.
- Pituitary adenomas: It develops in the pituitary gland at the bottom of the brain.
- Medulloblastomas: This cancerous brain tumor is prevalent among children. It begins in the lower back part of the brain.
- Craniopharyngiomas: It is a rare tumor that begins close to the brain’s pituitary gland. It secretes hormones that manage several different body functions. As the craniopharyngioma tumor grows gradually, it can spread to the pituitary gland or other parts near the brain.
The cause of the tumor isn’t clear in primary brain tumors. However, the best brain doctors in Mumbai will run several diagnostic tests as well as biopsies to figure out the nature of the tumor. It can help understand the origin of cancer and plan the treatment accordingly.
Cancer that Begins Elsewhere and then Spreads to the brain
These are secondary brain tumors that result from cancer. It starts from some part of the body and spreads to the brain. They usually affect people who have a history of cancer.
Secondary brain tumors mainly occur in adults. Generally, any cancer can spread to the brain, but the most common types are-
- Breast Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Colon Cancer
The best brain doctors in Mumbai have identified a few of the factors that may increase your risk of a brain tumor. These are:
- Radiation- People exposed to ionizing radiation, a type of radiation, have a higher risk of brain tumor. It can be due to radiation therapy to treat cancer or radiation exposure by atomic bombs.
- Infections – The risk of CNS lymphoma rises with Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection. EBV is most often referred to as “mono,” the virus that causes mononucleosis. In other studies, large concentrations of the typical virus cytomegalovirus (CMV) were discovered in the tissue of brain tumors. However, more research is required to confirm whether exposure to infections, other viruses, or allergies increases a person’s risk of developing a brain tumor.
Family History- Sometimes, a very small portion of a brain tumor grows in people with a family history of brain tumors or genetic syndromes that may increase your risk of brain tumors. If you have a family history of brain tumors, avoid smoking or drinking too much as it can lead to cancer.
To get a heads-up and prevent loss of time, visit a doctor for regular check-ups.
When to see the best brain doctor in Mumbai?
If you or anyone you know has persistent signs and symptoms that we have mentioned above, make an appointment with the doctor as soon as possible. Detecting the disease in its early stages can be the difference between life and death.
Brain tumors can be fatal, and their symptoms should not be ignored. Everyone has a headache now and then, but persistent headaches should be taken care of as they could be a sign of a brain tumor. However, the symptoms of a brain tumor depend on the size and location of the tumor. So, if you experience any of the symptoms, immediately contact the best brain doctors in Mumbai and get help.
Also, check other blogs here.